Monday, July 12, 2010

The big C


I got home from work today - rushing to put up groceries and get supper fixed for me and Novie (yes it was pizza, no not delivery). I preheated the oven, put the pie in to cook and began washing strawberries and blueberries for desert.

I sat down and turned on the computer while I waited for the pizza. When I opened my facebook account I found a truly gut-wrenching message. The third one I've had in recent years.

A dear friend just learned he has cancer. He is my age. We've known each other for close to 10 years. We've seen each other at our best - and at our worst. He is newly married and just learned that he will be a father for the first time after the first of the year.

And as it always seems to happen - this is not someone I would picture when hearing the word cancer. Being hurt in a car wreck, yes. Falling off the porch and breaking his neck, yes. Accidentally shooting himself in the foot, possibly. But cancer, no. Not this one.

And I don't know why I'm so floored. As I mentioned -this is the third time I've been floored in the past year or so.

The first was Stacey. And girl if you're reading this you are the poster child of strength, class, and most of all faith. Stacey has taken that cancer and shown it who is boss. It was a shock though. I was in her (first) wedding. We stumbled our way through college together. Stacey - I'm so proud of you. I gain strength from you everyday.

Second came Susie - another punch to the gut. It just didn't seem real. Susie is honestly the strongest and bravest person I know. She's also one of the funniest people I've ever been around in my entire life. Just like with Stacey - it makes me angry and sad. How dare that disease try to deprive this world of such an amazing spirit. And like Stacey, Susie is fighting with every ounce of everything she has - she won't let anything get to her.

I'm a better person for knowing both of these women. Their fights have strengthened my prayer life. I'm praying everyday for both of them - meaning I'm praying every day.

Now I'm adding a third dear friend to this prayer list. And I ask each of you to do the same. This man has so much to offer.

People wonder if the devil is real - watch someone you love battle the big C and you won't doubt anymore. The same can be said though about the Lord. Watch someone you love beat the big C and you'll never doubt His power.

3 comments:

  1. And lose someone you love to the big C, and you'll know the love that God has for us. Because if you let Him, he will wrap you in His love and hold you tight during your grief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! Hang in there sweetie! I'm still playing catch up from vacation (hence just commenting) but I wanted to talk to you about something that I think might tie into this post.

    Google the Eat Clean diet. We've kind of fallen into it and LOVE it! It talks about all of the chemicals and junk that are in our processed foods and how it should come as no suprise that people are getting sick and are having health problems like they've never had before. We switched for one week and COULD NOT believe the difference in how we felt and slept.

    Let's meet for coffee and I'll tell ya about it.

    In the mean time, keep blogging. It's good for your soul.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you back girl! Does this mean you're home???? I miss you and I'm in some serious need of Andria time!!!!

    ReplyDelete